Find HONOR at the core of the gospel,
and save 40-60% on a single book or case of 24!
Reserve cases or copies now by emailing
The Global Gospel by Werner Mischke is an important step in an emerging paradigm which, in God’s providence, is preparing to:
- impart awareness of honor and shame as the pivotal value of the Bible, shedding new light on all Christ has done and will do for us, and
- throw open the gates of the Kingdom to masses of people for whom relationships, honor and purity are much deeper concerns than personal transgression of a legal code.
Until late 2014 I thought of honor/shame as simply a fresh way to present the gospel.
The Global Gospel explains how the global influence of the Western gospel (focused solely on the cure for sin) has blinded us to much of the gospel’s richness, and then unpacks this richness for us through the biblical motif of honor-status reversal.
- Last July the International Orality Network held a conference on this.
- This book guides the theme for the next Mission Frontiers (Jan/Feb 2015).
- Four Missio Nexus webinars in February will cover this subject.
- The April Evangelical Missions Quarterly will feature it prominently.
- And the next International Orality Journal will highlight it as well.
Share this offer with your friends, and
be among the first to encounter The Global Gospel!
Mission Network has arranged a pre-publication discount that cuts the “per book” price for missionaries from $24.99 to an even $10 (tax & shipping included)!!
(U.S. shipping only. At the publisher’s request, this deal is only available to “mission professionals” vocationally involved in the global mission effort.
Others can still 40% off individual books, and 50% off cases of 24 books. See below.)
Individualistic Westerners don’t naturally grasp the honor/shame dynamics inherent in collectivistic societies (including those in which the Bible was written). This reduces our own appreciation of the gospel’s richness, and puts a glass ceiling on the gospel’s reception in many cultures.
The Global Gospel reveals that the Bible itself can speak far more richly to collectivistic cultures—and to US—than we have realized!
The Global Gospel details nine honor/shame dynamics and one motif. Consider just one of these dynamics, as developed here:
Imagine yourself in a Hindu, Muslim or Buddhist culture obsessed with dietary limitations, ritual cleansing from defilement, and seeking honor.
Now consider a gospel presentation that starts with what you already “know,” rather than asking you to think like a Westerner about personal guilt:
All flesh is defiled, and from before birth needs to be cleansed. But ceremonial rituals aren’t enough because dirt can’t make itself clean and darkness can’t make itself light.
Yet God is light. In Him there is no darkness at all! And just as a candle drives darkness from a room by entering it, He alone has the power to drive out our defilement and give us true enlightenment.
God saw that our own best efforts to cleanse ourselves are like dressing in “filthy rags.” So He provided our only hope. God Himself embraced and destroyed defilement by entering His own creation in the person of Jesus Christ, the only man to ever live undefiled. The Bible describes Jesus as “the true light that enlightens every man.”
Not only did Jesus destroy defilement through his holy life, but He also demonstrated that He is God by driving disease out through his touch and even his spit! No mere prophet could touch a leper without being contaminated, and a prophet’s spit is just as foul as anyone else’s. So Jesus’ miracles—healing blind eyes with spit and the leper with His touch—prove that Jesus alone is God, come to deliver us from our defilement and our diseases.
And not only did Jesus destroy defilement and disease by embracing them, He also embraced the greatest enemy—death itself—and then destroyed it by rising again to prove that He truly is God.
Thus our only hope for true cleansing and enlightenment lies in inviting Jesus Himself to cleanse our defilement, and to send His Spirit to enlighten us, by living in and through us.
All your life you have sought cleansing that you can never achieve on your own. Are you ready to accept what God has done for you by turning to Jesus, letting go of defiling ways, and following the only one who can cleanse you, free you and deliver you?
Adapted with the author’s permission from Bruce “Thomas” Sidebotham’s 1994 Article in EMQ: The Gospel for Shame Cultures. See his 2002 revision.
For other gospel adaptations for the majority world,
see the 5-minute video Back to God’s Village, or
Werner Mishke’s The Father’s Love booklet.
Twenty years ago Bruce “Thomas” Sidebotham posted the illustration above in Evangelical Missions Quarterly. He observed that our Western Christianity teaches people to think like Westerners so that they can appreciate our contextualization of the gospel. In so doing we and they miss out on how the full richness of Biblical imagery best address the dominant concerns of their own culture.
A few years later “Roland Muller”’s books stirred awareness that in some cultures honor and shame are of greater concern than guilt, notably in the Muslim world. But he only scratched the surface without attempting to plumb the significance of this observation.
The Global Gospel plunges into these issues with unprecedented depth and readability.
Explore FREE book excerpts
- Q&A with Samuel Chiang of the International Orality Network
- Second Foreword by Steve Hawthorne of WayMakers and Perspectives
- Chapter 1.3: Why our blind spot about honor and shame?
- Chapter 1.4: The canopy of biblical truth
- Chapter 2.0: Honor-status reversal as a motif of the Bible
(Note: The full manuscript is available on request for preview by thought leaders and qualified buyers.)
Werner Mischke has been serving with Mission ONE since 1992, and is currently Executive Vice President and Director of Training Ministries. A 2009 ministry trip to Lebanon inspired Werner to research honor-shame dynamics in the Bible. This led to extensive reading, researching, training, and collaboration in developing resources about honor/shame for the missions community.
Why this DEAL?
- This paradigm is immediately applicable in the West and around the world!
- Printing extra books now is much cheaper than reprinting later.
- Shipping directly from the printer is much cheaper than shipping twice.
- Word-of-mouth is much cheaper than paid advertising.
Mission Network has arranged this opportunity for mission agencies and individual missionaries to get this unusual discount on this deluxe hard-back edition before all the publicity scheduled for early 2015. Early next year the book will feature prominently in Mission Frontiers, Evangelical Missions Quarterly, and four Missio Nexus webinars!
A sampling of many endorsements:
Get a new Bible in the deal!
The Global Gospel will open your eyes to vast treasures “hidden in plain sight” in your own Bible! Familiar passages will take on additional richness with personal application to your own circumstances as well as your cross-cultural ministry!
For example Paul is often read as teaching simply that all boasting is wrong, yet he writes in 1 Cor 9:15: “… I would would rather die than have anyone deprive me of my ground for boasting.” Once we have eyes to see the honor/shame dynamics in the Bible, we discover that Paul is not against boasting, but advocates replacing a cultural basis for honor with one rooted in God and the honor He gives. Suddenly so much more of the Bible makes sense.
Reserve cases or copies now by emailing
- how many cases of 24 you want to reserve at $240/case, and
- your vocational involvement in the global mission effort.
OR (for non-missionaries)
- how many copies ($15 each) or cases ($300 each) you want.
When the shipping date (about Dec 16)
is confirmed, we’ll email you for:
- payment to confirm your order,
- your U.S. shipping address (no P.O. Boxes), and
- names and email addresses of those who shared this deal with you
(so we can pay them a referral—$20/case or $.80/book).
or call or text me (Robby) at 360 420-5634.
(You should never get a busy signal. If you do, please text me immediately! Thanks!)
Share this offer!
Here’s an intro you can adapt to share with the graphic below:
Werner Mischke’s new book The Global Gospel reveals the rich “honor/shame” dynamics “hidden in plain sight” in our Bible, enhancing our understanding of Scripture and setting the gospel free to speak directly to each culture’s value system.
Please review this and share it with those God brings to your mind who might want a pre-publication discount to help fund the initial printing. Thanks!
The following resources are available for download toward promoting this deal or other use:
- This 2-min (600k) audio presentation of the gospel using biblical purity language, without reference to sin and guilt:
- This 4-min (1meg) audio introducing the above presentation and concluding with the 60% book offer for missionaries:
- This book cover and offer PDF (550k) with clickable links.
- The same book cover and offer JPEG (100k) for Facebook, etc.
The flier below is also available for download in these forms: